"There is a mountain range, there in Bolivia, the Altiplano, where the Revolution could spread to the rest of South America."

Monday, December 28, 2009

Day 7-Bolivia Reaches Out

12/08/09

I got in touch with Yandira late afternoon to at least exchange emails, and she informed me that Raul, Sarah, and Christian included, were all getting together for a despedida, going away gathering, so naturally I agreed to join.

By that point it was already around 6, and having written all afternoon I still had to send out some contact emails, call Jules, and get some food, which gave me just enough time to meet Yandira at 9:30 at the Libro Plaza Murillo. So everything worked out well, I would go meet everyone for talks and drinks, and then head just on time to pack my things and talk with Franz before heading to El Alto for my temporary goodbye to La Paz.

It was a great night of fun, meaningful solidarity, and the beginnings and nurturing of strong friendships. I met Yandira and we had a good talk as always and headed to meet the group where Raul, Sarah and Christian were finishing up a radio interview on the state radio station. We had loose conversations on national identities, and on the one question everyone was trying to answer perfectly; "Que es un Boliviano?"

Later on at the dance bar we all chatted about decentralization and departmental, municipal, and Indigenous autonomy; that in certain cases it could prove divisive and encourage separatism rather then autonomy through unity and solidarity. Raul explained to me that in this current context in Bolivia, autonomy if voted for is granted, but under certain guidelines, or more accurately, within a national framework. My concern was not so much with potential divisions being created, but with the management of natural resources and industry, and the budgeting and redistribution of wealth. In my opinion, autonomy should be within a framework for these reasons also.

Yandira is an administrater/investigator-reporter for I.N.R.A, The National Institute of Agrarian Reform, and Patty administers microfinance projects for small farmers and businesses in the department of Pando. As a going away present Patty and Yandira put together packages for all of us including books, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, CDs, and a message that read:

"Porque eres parte de nuestro proceso, y has marcado nuestra existencia, gracias. Recuerda que esto es posible gracias a Evo, vives en nuestro corazon y en este pais que ahora es tuyo tambien. Yandira y Patricia. Hasta la Victoria Siempre!! Jallalla Bolivia, libre, digna y soberana". Which in english translates into :" You are now a part of our process, and you have marked our existence, thank you. Remember that all this is possible thanks to Evo, you live in our hearts and in our country which is now also yours."

This speaks volumes about the love, generosity, hospitality, and profound human understanding of the Bolivian People. In a truly positive way, I was deeply emotionally affected by this message, and in a small way it changed my forever. It showed me that the Bolivian people love you, and appreciate you no matter how small your gestures, and really want everyone to feel welcome and included in their immense human project. This made me realize that I could never forget the Bolivian people, and that because of their monumental efforts, sacrifices, and dedication to humanity, I owe it to Bolivia to go back again to embrace this great community as soon as I can. This gesture was significant because it is not something that I went out and looked for, it is something that reached out for me. Bolivia is an inclusive thinking and inclusive reaching Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment